Blackberry chocolate red wine cake! - In collaboration with Another Glass of Red
Yes, you read it right! & trust me, it's worth the try!
This blackberry chocolate red wine cake was done in collaboration with my IG sweetest friend Saria who has a very special wine blog called Another Glass of Red. Saria is a WSET certified and a wine lover who's trying to make wine more fun and approachable for people. Her blog discusses everything wine related, from the latest news, to fun but education articles, to tips and tricks about wine for people who want to drink better wine and enjoy it more.
Red wine chocolate cake recipe
Preparation time: 1h; Baking time: 30 min; Serving: 4;
A. Cake recipe:
- 6 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 3/4 cup red wine, any kind you like
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 165C.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper or spray the inside with a non-stick spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer and on medium speed, cream the butter until smooth. (with the beater attachment)
- Add the sugars and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and yolk and beat well, then the red wine and vanilla.
- Don't worry if the batter looks like uneven.
- Sift the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt) together, right over the wet ingredients.
- Mix until 3/4 combined, then fold the rest together with a rubber spatula.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a cake tester or a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- The top of the cake should be shiny and smooth.
- Cool in pan on a rack for about 10 minutes then flip our of pan and cool the rest of the way on a cooling rack.
- This cake keeps well at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Frosting ingredients:
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup chilled heavy or whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Whip mascarpone, cream, sugar and vanilla together until soft peaks form - don't over whip.
- Assemble the cake:
- Using a serrated knife, trim the top of the cake to make level. Cut the cake in three layers.
- Place the bottom layer on a cake stand and dollop generously the frosting on the first and second layer.
- You can decorate the cake with blackberries and edible flowers.
- TIP: You can also cover the cake with frosting and top it with blackberries, sprinkles, chocolate shavings or whatever you like :)
& Bon appétit :)
She who fell from the stars