Oreo cupcakes with Oreo Swiss meringue buttercream frosting
In a land full of cupcakes, what would you be?
Me: An Oreo cupcake :)
In this blogpost, I want to show you all the step-by-step pictures to prepare a moist Oreo cupcake topped with Oreo Swiss meringue buttercream. This is the same recipe as the raspberry naked cake posted already that you can find here. Obviously, I have changed the flavor from raspberry to Oreo and instead of baking the batter in a cake mold, I did in a cupcake tin.
Step-by-Step Oreo cupcake pictures:
Step-by-step Oreo Swiss meringue buttercream pictures:
Oreo cupcakes frosted with Oreo Swiss meringue buttercream recipe
A. Oreo cupcakes: (recipe adapted and modified from Cupcake Jemma)
Preparation time: 15min; Baking time: 22 min; Serves: 12;
- Stand mixer with the paddle attachment or hand mixer
- Food processor or rolling pin/heavy bottle/bag
- Cupcake tin
- Cupcake liners (12)
- 125g granulated sugar
- 125g all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp. bicarbonate of soda, sifted
- 125g unsalted butter, softened (to room temperature)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1.5 tbsp. milk
- 4 Oreos, crushed (2 ways: - using a food processor; - a rolling pin or any heavy bottle by placing the cookies in a bag)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the sugar, flour, bicarbonate of soda, butter and eggs. Turn mixer on low speed then medium to high for a minute until there's no butter visible and it's well incorporated into the dry.
- Next, turn the speed on low and add the milk + crushed Oreos.
- After 30 seconds of mixing, scrape down the bowl and mix for a final 10 seconds.
- Fill each paper 3/4 of the way with the batter (using whether an ice cream scoop or two tablespoons).
- Bake for 22 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
B. Oreo Swiss meringue buttercream: (recipe adapted and modified from Carlos Lischetti book)
Preparation time: 30 min; Serves: frosting 12 cupcakes;
- Medium bowl
- Stand mixer with whisk attachment
- 300g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g granulated sugar
- 100g egg whites (around 3 eggs)
- 1/2 cup crushed Oreos (around 6 Oreos)
- Place the egg whites and sugar in a medium bowl and place over a pan of simmering water.
- Whisk until the sugar dissolves and reaches 60°C-65°C or until all the sugar is dissolved (you can check by robbing it with your fingers if you don't have a thermometer).
- Remove from the heat and in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, pour the mixture of egg whites/sugar.
- Whisk on high speed until the meringue is lukewarm and stiff peaks (or bec d'oiseau) have formed. Don't forget to scrape down the bowl from time to time.
- Gradually add the softened butter into the meringue. Continue whisking at medium to high speed until the butter has been fully incorporated. Don't forget to scrape down the bowl from time to time and continue whisking.
- Add the crushed Oreos and whisk again until well combined.
C. It's frosting time :)
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a Wilton 6B piping tip and frost in a donut swirl.
- Top with strawberries cut in half, more crushed Oreos, edible flower petals.
- And Bon appétit :)
She who fell from the stars