Apricot, pistachio and lemon cake
During my stay at Mont Saint-Michel (check out my previous article for more details), we had to do a culinary battle in which we have to prepare a dessert during one hour using La Mère Poulard biscuits and the ingredients strictly from an imposed list.
There was apricot and apricot jam in the list and I wanted to try a new flavor combination, I wanted to challenge myself.
In this blogpost, you will find my cake's recipe inspired visually by MOF Yann Brys and is composed of a pistachio/lemon crunchy base using La Mère Poulard biscuits, apricot cream, pistachio/lemon dacquoise, apricot jam, Italian meringue, crushed pistachios and lemon zest.
Apricot, pistachio and lemon cake recipe
Preparation time: 1 hour; Baking time: 12 min; Serves: 6;
A. Apricot cream
- 200g apricot
- 37,5g granulated sugar
- 12,5g cornstarch + 1 tbsp. water
- 1 egg
- Mix all the ingredients together in a blender or a mixer.
- In a pan, stir the whole lot until thick.
- Take the pan off the heat - cover with cling film to prevent a skin from forming and let it cool completely in the fridge.
B. Pistachio and lemon crunchy base
- 125g La Mèree Poulard lemon biscuits
- 35g melted butter
- 5g crushed pistachios
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Mix the butter with the ingredients and fill a 10 cm cake circle with the preparation.
- Let it rest in the fridge.
C. Pistachio and lemon dacquoise
- 30g almond powder
- 30g pistachio powder
- 20g flour
- 65g icing sugar
- 90g egg whites
- 30g granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sift the powders, flour and icing sugar together.
- Whip on medium speed the egg whites and sugar until it reaches stiff peaks in the bowl of a standing mixer.
- Fold the powders, flour, icing sugar and the lemon zest gently into the egg whites.
- Pour the batter into a baking pan and bake for 12 minutes.
- Let it cool completely on a wire rack.
D. Italian meringue
- 1 egg white
- 80g granulated sugar
- 25g water
- Cook the mixture of sugar and water on medium heat and stir only until it comes to a boil.
- While the sugar syrup heats, place the egg white in a bowl and whip it until it reaches the soft peaks.
- When the syrup reaches 118°C, stream very gradually the hot sugar syrup into the egg white and continue to whip on low to medium speed.
- Once you add all the syrup, increase the mixer speed to medium-high.
- Continue mixing until the meringue reaches the soft peaks.
E. Assembling the cake
- In a plate, put the pistachio and lemon crunchy base then pipe using a piping bag the apricot cream.
- Add the dacquoise then a thin layer of apricot jam on top.
- Pipe the Italian meringue with a piping bag filled with the St-honoré nozzle then caramelize it with a butane torch.
- Decorate the top of the cake with fresh apricot, crushed pistachios, lemon zest and some gold leaf.
- Bon appétit :)
She who fell from the stars